Summer is a time of cookouts, family visits, and children home all day. With all of that activity going on, it is no wonder our carpets start to see a little wear and tear. Keep your carpets fresh and clean throughout all the summer dirty foot traffic with these tips in hand.
- Shoes off for everyone. When entering your home, make it a general rule to remove your shoes. You do not need to be super-strict to the point of people never wanting to return though. Even if everyone doesn’t follow along, it will greatly reduce the amount of dirt and grime getting caked into your carpet. Most of the time, if one person removes their shoes, others will follow suit.
- Putting down rugs, mats, or runners can help ease the wear and tear on carpets, especially in high traffic areas. Hallways are a great place for a runner, while entrances should have doormats. This will remind people to kick of their shoes or at least wipe them off before entering your home.
- Vacuum on the regular. This will remove the dirt and dust before it gets a chance to wear its way deeper into the carpet. You can also sprinkle baking soda on your carpet before you vacuum to absorb odors. A good rule is to vacuum at least once a week.
- Use a carpet cleaning machine or hire a professional company. You can even rent a carpet cleaner and do it yourself for fairly cheap. If you choose to hire, find a reputable company. You should deep clean your carpets at least a couple of times a year, and after summertime is over is a great time to do so. This will extend the life of your carpet and keep it fresh.
- Keep a place to put shoes by each doorway or entrance. This will make it easy for all the kids running in and out to remember that shoes come off and go in the same place every time. We all know sometimes they just forget!
Summertime is a joyous time, so do not stress about dirty carpet. Instead, follow a few simple tips to keep it under control. By the time summer has come to a close, you will still have a fresh floor beneath your feet.